Powered By Blogger

Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Week 7 Post 16 Wiki Wiki

I had always wondered if the word "wiki" was Hawaiian. In Hawaii, the buses at the airport that take people from one airline to another are called wiki wiki's. (easy-to-catch and quick-to-get-you-there) The wiki wiki bus schedules are set. They run every 10 minutes, but where the buses stop depends on who is on the bus and where they need to go. Whoever is at the spot labeled Wiki Wiki can be picked up and taken where they need to go...as long as it's on the route. I guess that sounds like a wiki...? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Page
I might never have my own wiki, but it was good to know that they can be passworded. I wouldn't want just anyone editing MY stuff... I registered my blog with the iHCPL wiki today. I think wikis are good for sharing ideas and opinions, but obviously not for accurate research. Library employees can share ideas about community involvement and programming, about displays that were a hit, or about how something may have bombed. I guess the book lover's wiki would be a good one for people looking for new reading materials, or something like http://hcpl.pbwiki.com/
Wikis are for people who have a NEED to voice their ideas and opinions, and an avenue for them to let other people know what they think. Wikis are for blah-blah-blah-blog-blogging.

No comments: